How to Celebrate the Spring Equinox
The Spring Equinox on March 20th marks the transition from winter to spring, which here in New England means we're getting ready to welcome warmer weather and longer days. On the Spring Equinox, day and night are equal and balanced which may, in turn, allow you to feel more balanced. If we pay attention we can notice the rhythm of our bodies aligning with the change in seasons, allowing us to feel renewed and rejuvenated as the earth literally springs alive again after a deep winter sleep.
Spring is a wonderful time for growth and rebirth and to plant the seeds you want to watch blossom, both literally and figuratively. Take some time today or this week to complete a ritual honoring the transition of the seasons to help you connect with the energy around this big change.
- Create an altar to pay tribute to the Spring Equinox. Lay out fresh flowers or plants and whatever other element of the earth calls to you (water, stones, sticks, etc.). Say a prayer or blessing to make space for the growth that you're about to witness within yourself and in the great outdoors. Take a moment to connect and show gratitude to Mother Earth. You could even incorporate some floral essential oils into your meditation or ritual. (Lavender is my favorite!)
- Spend some time reflecting on and writing down whatever you are hoping to create this season, or even this year. Spring is all about new growth and creation, about planting the seeds and expressing your desires so that you can work towards creating them. Now is a great time for that manifestation magic! I'll admin, in the past I have been one to brush off the power of actually committing my hopes, goals, and dreams to paper but have recently been integrating it back into my life and I have to say - that.shit.works! Just do it - take a minute to set yourself up with a piece of paper and pen and write down whatever flows. It doesn't have to be fancy or "right", you just have to get started (which is always the hardest part).
- Be in nature. Go for a walk or start planning and prepping your garden. Show gratitude to the sun that has a hand in creating all the beauty you see around you. If it's warm enough where you are you could even literally get your hands in the earth and plant some seeds! If not, you could start an indoor herb garden instead.
- If you're lucky enough to have it warm where you live on the Spring Equinox, open all the windows and take in the fresh air. Maybe even take this as an opportunity to complete a cleansing ritual of your home. What better way to start spring cleaning than getting rid of stagnant winter energy and clearing space for the vibrant energy of spring?
- Enjoy a tasty treat of the season. I love hitting up my farmer's market on the weekend to indulge in fresh and seasonal baked goods (and, of course, lots of strong, locally roasted coffee; just call me a Gilmore). I'm already looking forward to the summertime sweets!
I'd love to hear what you do to mark the end of winter. Do you have any rituals when it comes to welcoming spring? Share in the comments!